Educational Program or Curriculum Development
Setting: Arizona State University
Proposed program/curriculum: Doctor in Nursing Science (DNSc)
You will select the overarching philosophies, theories, and frameworks that will shape your curriculum. In addition, you will create the end-of-program learning objectives that will define the components and structure of the courses within your curriculum
Learning Theories & Organizational Frameworks
Conduct research to determine whether your selected setting reflects a particular theoretical philosophy and/or organizational framework. Use the following questions as a guide when determining the presence of theories and curriculum concepts:
Does your setting’s website present statements related to learning theories and the preparation of graduates for certain roles in society? What prominent conceptual frameworks, such as the Essentials of Baccalaureate Education (AACN) and Criteria for ADN Programs (NLN) might this setting draw from? Why?
1. 1. Identify the theories and concepts reflected by your setting (Arizona State University).
2. 2. Discuss and identify the major theories that apply to your curriculum (DNSc) and why.
· Explain how your curriculum will thread learning experiences and concepts associated with these theories throughout the curriculum.
· Explain how these theories align with that of your setting (if applicable).
3. 3. Identify the type of organizational framework and curriculum development approach that is most applicable to your program.
4. 4. Develop an organizational framework/approach that aligns with the following parameters:
· It is congruent with the setting’s mission, vision, and philosophy.
· It mirrors the academic needs of your intended nursing students, as well as the trends and regulations applicable to your setting and curriculum focus.
Reexamine the mission, vision, and philosophy of your selectedsetting. Then, begin to develop a mission, vision, and philosophy statement for your proposed curriculum. When creating these curriculum components, consider the following:
What is the ultimate, long-term aim of your curriculum? For example, a hypothetical setting such as the Nightingale School of Nursing might have a mission such as “The Nightingale School of Nursing prepares caring, competent, and professional advanced practice nurse leaders for meeting the healthcare needs of culturally diverse populations.” This mission serves as an overall guide for developing the objectives and learning activities of the curriculum. It also serves to measure the outcomes of the curriculum. The Nightingale School of Nursing’s mission provides actual goals and outcomes that could be measured by follow-up studies of the graduates. Their caring and competence could be measured by patient satisfaction surveys and skill analysis examinations. Their professionalism could be measured by their participation in professional nursing organizations, scholarly achievements, and community service.
1. 1. Create the mission for your nursing curriculum. Justify your mission by explaining how this statementsupports the learning needs of the curriculum as well as how it is congruent with the setting’s mission, vision, and philosophy.
2. 2. Create the vision for your nursing curriculum. Justify your vision by explaining how this statement supports the learning needs of the curriculum as well as how it is congruent with the setting’s mission, vision, and philosophy.
3. 3. Create the philosophy of your nursing curriculum. Justify your philosophy by explaining how this statement supports the learning needs of the students/staff/patients as well as how it is congruent with the setting’s mission, vision, and philosophy.
4. 4. Describe how will the mission, vision, and philosophy of your curriculum help to guide the actions of both educators and students in your setting.
1) At least 3 pages (addressing all the questions above excluding the title page and reference page).
2) Kindly follow APA format for the citation and references! References should be between the period of 2011 and 2016. Please utilize the references at least three below as much as possible and the rest from yours.