Each response, minimum of 80 words.
- What are the constitutional safeguards that are associated with criminal juvenile proceedings? How do these safeguards differ/relate to the safeguards and foundations which were established for adult criminal law procedures? What would happen if adult and juvenile procedures were the same? Explain.
- What is liability? How does liability impact criminal law? How can we improve the relationship between criminal law and liability within the criminal justice system?
- What do you think about diversion programs that try to avert juvenile offenders from going to court? Do you think these attempts to divert juveniles from the criminal justice system are purposeful or do you think that they will not have an impact on further deviant acts committed by the offenders?
- Incidents like the one at Columbine High School changed the way that police train and respond to active shooter incidents. Security concerns have results into some schools having students walk through metal detectors. People are often “wanded” with a handheld metal detector when entering school sporting events. How can it be improved?
- While the adult courts place a high priority on punishment of those convicted of committing crimes, the juvenile courts have a different goal. In juvenile courts, there is a great deal of priority placed on the rehabilitation of juvenile offenders. To accomplish this, the juvenile system uses various programs and tactics; what are these programs and tactics?
- I think that society has had a tremendous impact on the way that juveniles view authority. They are bombarded with messages from movies, television, music videos, music lyrics, video games, etc that tell them that it is cool to defy authority and engage in unruly and even criminal behavior. Reality TV shows like MTV’s Real World and The Jersey Shore to name a couple are so popular and yet so bad. Young people love it and want to emulate the behavior. It doesn’t help any when these idiots get far more than their 15 minutes of fame and end up cashing in to boot. Some of the cast of the Jersey Shore have made millions. What can be done to change young generations mentality?
- Do you think that the courts have allowed too many other reasons to allow defendants to go unpunished for their crimes? Do you think that this is an issue that negatively affects our criminal justice system? Why or why not?