This week, you will begin working on your course project for full completion in Week 5. This week, you will select a topic for your project. In Weeks 2–4, you will complete weekly tasks for the selected topic, and in Week 5, you will present the course project in one formatted document.
Week 1 Tasks
Select one of the two topics below for your project, and:
- Provide a short definition or description of the topic
- Provide the rationale for choosing this topic.
- Conclude with a high-level description of how you plan to collect the data for this project.
Complete a 300- to 350-word essay in a Microsoft Word document with appropriate references noted.
Topic 1: Disease Process
Select a disease process from among the following:
- Coronary artery disease
- Alzheimer’s disease
- Cancer (lung, colon, breast)
In the next week, you will trace the continuum of care for this disease process in your own geographic region. Select a specific payer type before beginning. Be sure to collect information on the following:
- Socioeconomic issues
- Primary care
- Specialist referrals
- Outpatient services
- Hospital care
- Tertiary care, if appropriate
- Rehabilitation care, if appropriate
- Managed care issues
- Quality-of-care issues
- Total cost of care