Category : Bold Essays Writing
Neurological disorders, such as headaches, seizure disorders, sleep disorders, depression, and dementia, can present several complications for patients of all ages. These disorders affect patients physically and emotionally, impacting judgment, school and/or job performance, and relationships with family and friends. Since these disorders may have drastic effects on patients lives, it is important for advanced practice nurses to effectively manage patient care. With patient factors and medical history in mind, it is the nurses responsibility to assist physicians in the diagnosis, treatment, and education of patients with neurological disorders.
· Review this weeks media presentations on the nervous system.
· Select one of the following neurological disorders: headaches, seizure disorders, sleep disorders, depression, or dementia. Consider the pathophysiology, as well as the types of drugs that would be prescribed to patients to treat your selected disorder.
· Select one of the following factors: genetics, gender, ethnicity, age, or behavior. Consider how the factor you selected might impact the pathophysiology of the disorder. Then, reflect on how this factor might impact the effects of prescribed drugs, as well as measures you might take to help reduce any negative side effects.
· Locate an agency that provides patient education on your selected disorder and review the available materials and curriculum. Consider how you might be able to use those materials to educate a patient on the disorder, treatment options, management, and self-care.
Questions to be aIDressed in my paper:
1. A description of the neurological disorder you selected, including its pathophysiology and types of drugs that would be prescribed to treat patients.
2. Explain how the factor you selected might impact the pathophysiology of the disorder, as well as the effects of prescribed drugs.
3. Include a description of measures you might take to help reduce any negative side effects.
4. Finally, explain how you would use materials from a supporting agency to educate patients on the disorder, treatment options, management, and self-care.
5. Summary with Conclusion
1) 2-3 pages (aIDressing the 4 questions above excluding the title page and reference page).
2) Kindly follow APA format for the citation and references! References should be between the period of 2011 and 2016. Please utilize the references at least three below as much as possible and the rest from yours.
3) Make headings for each question.
· Huether, S. E., & McCance, K. L. (2012). Understanding pathophysiology (Laureate custom ed.). St. Louis, MO: Mosby.
o Chapter 12, Structure and Function of the Neurologic System
This chapter begins with an overview of the structure and function of the nervous system. It also explains the importance of the central, peripheral, and autonomic nervous systems.
o Chapter 13, Pain, Temperature, Sleep, and Sensory Function
This chapter covers the role of pain, sleep, stress, and the senses on body functions. It also explores alterations involving pain, sleep, stress, and the senses.
o Chapter 14, Alterations in Cognitive Systems, Cerebral Hemodynamics, and Motor Function
This chapter explores disorders of cognitive systems, neuromotor function, tone, movement, and motor performance. It also examines factors that impact these disorders, as well as clinical manifestations.
o Chapter 15, Disorders of the Central and Peripheral Nervous Systems and Neuromuscular Junction
This chapter examines the pathophysiology, clinical manifestations, and evaluation and treatment of central and peripheral nervous system disorders. Tumors of the central nervous system are also covered.
o Chapter 16, Alterations of Neurologic Function in Children
This chapter focuses on the pathophysiology, clinical manifestations, evaluation, and treatment of neurologic disorders and brain tumors in children. Normal growth and development is also examined.
· Poole Arcangelo, V., & Peterson, A. M. (Eds.). (2013). Pharmacotherapeutics for advanced practice: A practical approach (3rd ed.). Ambler, PA: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.
o Chapter 7, Principles of Pharmacology in Pain Management
This chapter begins by examining acute and chronic pain. It also explores the pathophysiology of pain, general principles for managing pain, and drugs used in pain management.
o Chapter 38, Headaches
This chapter covers the causes, pathophysiology, and diagnostic criteria for tension and migraine headaches. It then outlines the process of selecting, administering, and managing drug therapy for headaches, including migraines and cluster headaches.
o Chapter 39, Seizure Disorders
This chapter explores the causes, pathophysiology, and diagnostic criteria of seizures. It also describes the process of selecting, administering, and managing drug therapy for patients with seizures.
o Chapter 40, Major Depressive Disorder
This chapter begins by identifying the causes, pathophysiology, and diagnostic criteria of major depressive disorder (MID). It then examines types of depressions and drugs prescribed to treat patients suffering from MID.
o Chapter 41, Anxiety
This chapter examines the causes, pathophysiology, and diagnostic criteria for anxiety. It also outlines the process of selecting, administering, and managing drug therapy for patients with anxiety.
o Chapter 42, Insomnia and Sleep Disorders
This chapter covers the causes, pathophysiology, and diagnostic criteria of three sleep disorders: insomnia, restless leg syndrome and periodic limb movement disorder, and narcolepsy. It also examines the process of selecting, administering, and managing drug therapy for patients with these sleep disorders.
o Chapter 44, Alzheimers Disease
This chapter examines the causes and pathophysiology of Alzheimers disease (AD). It also describes various drugs used to treat symptoms of AD, including proper dosages and possible adverse reactions.
· American Academy of Family Physicians. (2012). Dementia [Article collection]. Retrieved fromhttp://www.aafp.org/afp/topicModules/viewTopicModule.htm?topicModuleId=5
This website provides information relating to diagnosis, treatment, and patient education of dementia. It also presents information on complications and special cases of dementia.
· Drugs.com. (2012). Retrieved from www.drugs.com
This website presents a comprehensive review of prescription and over-the-counter drugs, including information on common uses and potential side effects. It also provides updates relating to new drugs on the market, support from health professionals, and a drug-drug interactions checker.
· Laureate Education, Inc. (Executive Producer). (2012i). The neurological system. Baltimore, MD: Author.
This media presentation outlines the pathophysiology of the neurological system and associated alterations.
· Laureate Education, Inc. (Executive Producer). (2012k). Pharmacology for the nervous system. Baltimore, MD: Author.
This media presentation outlines drug treatment options for disorders of the nervous system.
· Alzheimers Association. (2012). Retrieved from http://www.alz.org/
· Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. (n.d.). Retrieved August 10, 2012, fromhttp://www.cdc.gov
· Haymarket Media, Inc. (2012). Monthly prescribing reference [Online database]. Retrieved fromhttp://www.empr.com/
· Institute for Safe Medication Practices. (2012). Retrieved from http://www.ismp.org/
· National Multiple Sclerosis Society. (n.d.). Retrieved August 10, 2012, fromhttp://www.nationalmssociety.org/index.aspx
· National Parkinson Foundation. (2012). Retrieved from http://www.parkinson.org/
· Medscape. (2012). Retrieved from http://www.medscape.com/
- Cyber and physical security threats are a key concern of national security, because new computer technology increases the opportunity for cyber risks and threats.
- The idea behind each Response Paper is for you to reflect on the case or article and to write a thoughtful, well-reasoned response to the situation or issue presented, incorporating any arguments or conclusions you may make in light of the other readings and presentations in the course.
- The Heritage Foundation is a conservative political think tank that uses it influenced to change society.