Health and social care
is a 2000 word report on a topic of your choice related to ethnicity and health. Your report must focus on the United Kingdom. You can either:
Choose one health issue and discuss the impact of ethnicity on that issue. For example:
Diabetes and ethnicity
Mental health and ethnicity (or you can select just one mental illness in particular such as Depression OR Schizophrenia)
Thalassaemia and/or Sickle Cell Disease and ethnicity
Dementia and ethnicity
And so on
Discuss the health of a particular ethnic minority group. For example:
The health and health needs of the South Asian community
The health and health needs of the Traveller community
The health and health needs of the Chinese community
The health and health needs of Refugees and Asylum seekers
And so on
Choose one health issue and discuss the impact on one ethnic minority group. For example:
Tay-Sachs Disease and the Jewish Community
Postnatal Depression and the African-Caribbean Community
Mental illness and the Chinese Community
And so on
The whole report is to be written from an anti-racist perspective. This means arguing from the standpoint of your chosen ethnic minority group.
The report must incorporate:
(i) A review of the literature this section must look at what current research and key thinkers say about your chosen topic. Here you are focusing on the main findings in relation to your chosen topic bringing together (summarising) what different studies and authors say. You are not reviewing individual studies that have come out nor should you describe one study after another e.g. simply have one paragraph saying study X says this, followed by a paragraph saying study Y says that, and so on. You are giving an overview of what has been said in books, journals, reports, etc. on your chosen subject i.e. What is known about your topic? Who are the key writers and what do they say? What are the key ideas, research findings and theories around/about your chosen topic?
(ii) An analysis of relevant UK policy from an anti-racist perspective here you select the most recent or relevant policy and critically review whether or not it is meeting the needs of your chosen group and/or in relation to your chosen health issue. A place to start your search would be the Department of Health (https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/department-of-health) and for policies prior to May 2010 (http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/webarchive/).
(iii) an evidenced, reasoned and argued conclusion
(iv) recommendations based on your overall conclusion.
(v) You must choose your own report title relevant to the content of your report.
(1) You are expected to draw on both academic texts and academic journals to support your discussion. The use of a minimum of eighteen sources is required to pass of these a minimum of twelve sources should be academic books or academic journals. Note: the 18 is a minimum students are encouraged to carry out wider reading. Additionally, accessing government reports and policies is expected; however, these are not included in the 12 minimum academic sources required to pass.
(2) Your paper must be in report format as outlined below.
1. Title page
2. Abstract or Executive Summary (on a separate page)
3. Table of contents (which includes page numbers for the different sections/subsections and should be on a new page)
4. Introduction (including aims/objectives, background, methodology and scope)
5. Discussion (should consist of different headed sections/subsections)
9. Appendix/Appendices (if you use more than one appendix, the last one must be your assignment 1 feedback point (4) below. Appendices should be given titles and, other than the feedback appendix, if used should be referred to in the body of your report).
(3) As with ALL your written assignments, you must use the Harvard system of referencing to cite your sources in the body of your paper. Please pay particular attention to point 8 of the referencing guidelines on secondary referencing. Also read the section headed Plagiarism and Bad Academic Practice on page 15 of the unit handbook.
(4) You must include a copy of your assignment 1 tutor feedback as an appendix after your reports reference list. Simply copy and paste it from your assignment 1 on Turnitin/Grademark into your assignment 2 document see section headed Feedback from your assignment 1 essay on page 12 of the unit handbook and on the assignment 1 guidelines.
(5) Remember good written communication is about structuring your work so that your discussion is clearly signposted and developed and you guide the reader logically from one section/subsection to the next.
(6) No more than 5 10% of the assignment should be in the form of quotations.
(7) Proofread and edit your work before handing it in and/or ask a trusted person to read it through for you.
(8) Your work must be word processed, double spaced and page numbered. You must also include a word count.