Coaching and mentoring should be a core competency of nurses prepared at the graduate level.
Coaching and mentoring should be a core competency of nurses prepared at the graduate level. Do you agree or disagree with this statement? Defend your response.
Discussion Question 1 Due date Friday 09/09
Answer the following:
• Coaching and mentoring should be a core competency of nurses prepared at the graduate level. Do you agree or disagree with this statement? Defend your response.
• Based on your graduate specialization, identify one coaching activity that you can do in this advanced practice role. What strategies would you employ for this activity?
• Describe one mentoring activity you might complete with a mentor that would help you to acclimate to your new advance practice role. Should this activity be structured or unstructured?
Discussion Question 2 Due date Friday 09/09
Consultation is a core competency of graduate nursing. Answer the following:
• Differentiate consultation from supervision?
• Are consultation and collaboration synonymous? Defend your response.
• Give an example on how you have seen the consultation competency practiced in your current nursing area. Explain if the practice followed the graduate competency criteria.
Assignment 2: Leadership and the Graduate Nursing Role
Due date Monday 09/12
The graduate nurse evidences leadership as seen in the four domains: the profession of nursing, clinical practice arena, health policy arena, and systems level. In order to complete this assignment, complete the short eighteen-question quiz (this takes approximately five minutes) about your leadership style at
About.com Psychology. (n.d.). Quiz – What’s your leadership style? Retrieved
In a 3- to 5-page paper (excluding the title page, references and appendices), you will address the following criteria:
• Report your findings from the quiz:
o What kind of leader were you?
o How does this fit into your beliefs about your leadership style?
• Examine the attributes of leadership that may be needed for graduate level nurses.
• Analyze your personal leadership attributes you feel you have that will help you in your graduate nursing role. Also discuss those attributes that you feel you may need to develop in your graduate nursing role.
Finish with a quotation from a library article related to leadership in an advanced nursing role. Look in some of the known leadership journals like The Journal of Nursing Scholarship or Nursing Leadership Forum or the American Journal of Nursing, Journal of Nursing Administration, Nursing Administration Quarterly, Nursing Management or Health Care Management Review (found in the South University Online Library).