Introduction to Criminology– Week 2 Assignment
NCVS vs. UCR
Currently, criminologists in the United States primarily utilize two methods for collecting crime data; The Uniform Crime Report (UCR) and the National Crime Victimization Survey (NCVS). These two data sources are heavily relied upon when studying crime rates and trends. The UCR and the NCVS provide different data, and in our textbook, in Chapter 2 there is a plethora of information regarding the UCR and the NCVS and how each is used, their validity, and possible future implications on how crime data is collected.
You are a lieutenant working for The Big Deal Security Company, which has seen exponential growth over the last few years. The owner of the company is looking to expand the business and would like you to create a proposal by comparing two cities in two different states. When evaluating the two cities, keep in mind that some of the current employees will relocate, and the boss would like you to develop a proposal on which of the two cities would be a better choice to raise a family.
For your proposal, you will need to use the information from both the UCR and the NCVS.
1. First, choose two different states then pick a city in each of these states that you believe The Big Deal Security Company could open another successful office.
a. For example Dallas, Texas and Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
2. Second, go to the Uniform Crime Report website https://ucrdatatool.gov/Search/Crime/Local/JurisbyJuris.cfm?NoVariables=Y&CFID=164098445&CFTOKEN=8fcedd547fb325e4-931B6E2B-C17B-6840-57801D6FA0F2A580
3. Once on the website, select the first state you have chosen in the drop down box then click the Next button
For my example, I selected Dallas.
4. Now in the drop-down box labeled (a. Choose an agency) find the law enforcement agency in the city you have selected.
a. For my example, I selected Dallas Police Department; I could have chosen the Dallas County Sheriff’s Department if I was going move business to the county.
5. Now go to the drop-down box on the right labeled (b. Choose one or more variable groups) – Hold down the shift key and select Number of violent crimes and Number of property crimes and then click on the button labeled – Get Table.
6. Review the information on the table for the total number of aggravated assaults and the total number of burglaries – write down this information to use later. Repeat this process for the second city and state you chose.
a. ***Make sure the “Choose one or more population groups” is on “ALL.”
7. Once you are done, click on the link below, which will take you to the National Crime Victimization website. https://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/cv14.pdf
8. Now scroll down until you Find Table 4 and write down the number of burglaries and aggravated assaults reported in 2014.
9. Now you are ready to evaluate the crime rate for burglaries and aggravated assaults in the two cities selected, to help you complete your proposal as to which city would be a more favorable location for the new office.
Instructions for your proposal:
1. Include these elements in your proposal paper:
2. A title page – get creative on your title page (background and border), but make sure to include the title of your presentation, your name, and the date
3. Starting on the second page of your proposal
· Introduce the two states selected and why the two cities within these states would make a great location to expand The Big Deal Security Company.
· Demonstrate your understanding of the statistical data collected from the UCR and how it differs from the NCVS (where is the data for each of these databases derived from).
· Compare the violent crime rate (aggravated assaults) and the property crime rate (burglaries) you collected from both the Uniform Crime Report and the National Victimization Survey on both cities.
· Describe the possible effects the information in the UCR and the NCVS may have on a community (e.g., business and population growth, schools, and law enforcement).
· Explain the different demographics of each city you are comparing (e.g., population, resources, and unemployment rate).
· Clarify why you would or why you would not move the company to each one of the cities you have researched (give specific examples).
· State why it is essential for crime data to be available to the public and its usefulness.
(This page is the very last one in your proposal; it stands alone at the end of your paper, and only contains the references for your document).
A detailed explanation of how to cite a source using APA can be found here.
Download an example
View your assignment rubric