21) Identify which of the following statements is true.
A) Paragraph references are most commonly used when citing or referring to the tax statutes.
B) Title 26 of the United States Code and the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 are synonymous.
C) Before 1939, tax statutes were codified or compiled into one document.
D) The Internal Revenue Code contains chapters, which are further subdivided into titles.
22) Title 26 of the U.S. Code includes
A) income tax legislation only.
B) gift tax and estate tax legislation only.
C) alcohol and tobacco tax legislation only.
D) all of the tax legislation mentioned above.
23) The tax statutes with the popular name “The Internal Revenue Code of 1986” are contained in which Title of the Code?
24) Which of the following statements regarding proposed regulations is not correct?
A) Proposed regulations expire after three years.
B) Practitioners and other interested parties may comment on proposed regulations.
C) Proposed and temporary regulations are generally issued simultaneously.
D) Proposed regulations do not provide any insight into the IRS's interpretation of the tax law.
25) Final regulations can take effect on any of the following dates except
A) the effective date of the statutory language they interpret, provided they are issued within 18 months of the date of the change to the statute.
B) the date on which final regulations were proposed.
C) the date on which related temporary regulations were first published in the Federal Register.
D) the date on which they were issued in final form.
26) When Congress passes a statute with language such as, “The Secretary shall prescribe such regulations as he may deem necessary,” the regulations ultimately issued for that statute are
A) congressional regulations.
B) statutory regulations.
C) interpretative regulations.
D) legislative regulations.
27) Regulations are
A) equal in authority to legislation.
B) equal in authority to legislation if statutory.
C) presumed to be valid and to have almost the same weight as the IRC.
D) equal in authority to legislation if interpretative.
28) Identify which of the following statements is true.
A) If regulations are issued prior to the latest tax legislation dealing with a specific Code section, the regulations are no longer effective to the extent they conflict with the provisions in the new legislation.
B) Legislative regulations are more likely to be invalidated by the courts than are interpretative regulations.
C) Regulations have more authoritative weight than tax statues.
D) All of the above are false.
29) Identify which of the following statements is false.
A) The number “5” in the citation Reg. Sec. 1.166-5 refers to the paragraph number.
B) The Cumulative Bulletin is issued semiannually while the Internal Revenue Bulletin is issued weekly.
C) The citation Rev. Rul. 2006-5, I.R.B. 2006-1, 33, indicates that the revenue ruling can be found on page 33 of the 1st I.R.B. for 2006.
D) All of the above are false.
30) The number appearing immediately following the decimal place in a regulation citation refers to the
A) general subject matter of the regulation.
B) code section being interpreted.
C) sequential number of the regulation.
D) subsection of the Code section being interpreted.