Use the QSO-321 Module Three Assignment Template to complete your analysis. Select one of the following industries for your analysis.
- Food service (fast food, casual dining, fine dining, etc)
- Office supply (retail office supply companies such as Staples, Office Depot, etc)
- Accounting and finance (banks, credit unions, accounting firms, etc).
Step One: Identify the key internal and external stakeholders who may be involved in enforcing and maintaining operational sustainability initiatives for your selected industry.
- Populate Column One (Stakeholder) by identifying stakeholders who have a role or interest in influencing initiatives related to the Triple Bottom Line for your selected industry.
- For example: Identify these individuals by title (ie: CEO, CFO, etc.), department (ie: Marketing, Operation, Human Resources, etc.), organization (ie: suppliers, partners, etc.), community (ie: customers, special interest groups, etc.), or government (ie: Federal, State, Municipality, etc.).
Step Two: Conduct research to better understand the roles of each stakeholder you identified.
- For example:
- The CEO provides vision, direction, and high-level strategic decisions for an organization.
- The Marketing Department promotes environmentally and socially responsible products, practices, and brand values.
- Suppliers and vendors provide raw materials for production and/or packaging.
- Customers and special interest groups drive acceptance of product produced by the organization.
- Government entities influence production, packaging, and in some cases disposal of the organization’s product.
- For example:
Step Three: Populate Column Two (Role) with the results of your research. Do not neglect citation and reference.
Step Four: Populate Column Three (Responsibilities). This steps requires a certain degree of analysis on your part.
- Assess the role of each stakeholder you identified and think about how that role may influence environmental or societal initiatives that may be undertaken by the organization. Then, in your own words:
- Briefly describe the responsibilities of each stakeholder you identified focusing on how the stakeholder is involved in enforcing and maintaining operational sustainability regarding each aspect of the TBL. Here you want to present specific responsibilities as they apply to:
- Evaluating or enforcing sustainable operations (ie, the CEO is responsible to employees, customers, the board of directors, and other stakeholders for decisions made about and for the organization. In other words, whether or not the organization cares about and allocates resources for the TBL).
- Determining which aspects of the TBL framework they support most strongly (ie, Greenpeace International would be most interested in sustainability and environmental initiatives).
- Explaining how their responsibilities can help justify prioritizing the TBL (ie: the CEO drives initiatives undertaken by the organization, prioritizes concurrent initiatives, and approves funding for the initiatives, In other words, whether or not the TBL is part of the organization’s strategic plan, whether or not resources will be allocated to support the TBL, and how it is prioritized in relation to other strategic initiatives).
Step Five: Populate Column Four (Influence). This is the second area that requires analysis on your part. In your own words:
- Briefly describe the level of influence of each internal and external stakeholder you identified and how you see each being involved in enforcing and maintaining operational sustainability regarding each aspect (planet, people, profit) of the TBL (ie: the CEO Influences strategic initiatives, goals, values, and investments of the overall organization internally; these include those that impact revenue streams, costs, investment into employees, the elimination of waste, and the overall impact of the organization).
- Note the ability of each to make decisions, enforce requirements, and justify prioritizing the TBL for an organization (ie: the CEO can approve or create organizational initiatives that provide resources needed to strengthen TBL alignment in the organization).
Please use the Module Three Assignment Template, attached, to complete your assignment.