Discuss the cultural factors that influence one’s likeliness to seek social support in times of stress.
The project for this course is the creation of an analysis paper. In the paper, you will analyze a particular culture from the perspective of a cross-cultural psychologist. This project will allow you to demonstrate your ability to analyze different cultures using a psychological approach and to draw conclusions based on research of that culture’s characteristics. This paper will challenge you to apply what you have learned in this course to an investigation of a cultural or ethnic group of your choosing (except white European Americans). You will, in essence, be thinking like a cross-cultural psychologist. You should position the group’s culture in terms of its location on specific cultural dimensions (e.g., power distance, uncertainty avoidance) and explain what it tells us about their behavior and psychology.
Address the five following areas in your paper:
• What cultural factors influence likeliness to conform, and in what situations?
• Discuss the cultural factors that influence one’s likeliness to seek social support in times of stress.
• Describe how the group’s cultural norms regulate an individual’s display of emotions.
• Investigate this culture’s view on psychological disorders, most commonly diagnosed ones, and treatment methods.
• Investigate sources of perception and stereotypes.